Manufacturer: Monoprice Part number: 8247
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock |
Get free shipping on orders over $35.00
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 07/28/2014
| || In stock || |
as of 07/28/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $119.99 - $133.02
- Reviewed by: Matthew Moskovciak and Steve Guttenberg
- Edited by: John Falcone
- Reviewed on: 10/20/2011
- Released on: 09/15/2011
The good: The Monoprice 8247 is one of the least expensive 5.1 speaker systems we've ever seen. The system includes four small two-way satellite speakers with swivel wall-mounts, a center channel, and a compact powered 8-inch subwoofer. Most importantly, it actually sounds pretty good, as long as you're not expecting miracles.
The bad: The plastic speaker cabinets don't compare to the nicer finishes on more expensive systems. And if you can spend more money, the Energy Take Classic 5.1 and Pioneer SP-PK21BS are better in just about every way.
The bottom line: The Monoprice 8247 does the impossible by offering a competent 5.1 speaker system for less than $100, setting a new standard for ultrabudget speakers.
Amazingly good surround sound for the price.
by IAHphotography on January 16, 2014
Pros: PRICE- $93 shipped (after a $10 off coupon)
Build- good quality for such a low price point
Sound- it's ok for music, but sounds VERY good with movies.
Speaker Mounts- nice touch
Cons: Subwoofer sounds muddy when listening to music.
The tiny speakers sound a little anemic when listening to music (way better than TV speakers but not as good as bookshelf speakers).
Summary: I was looking for a small and cheap 5.1 set for my living room (22'x24'). Found these and thought I'd give them a try. I already have ...
Summary: I was looking for a small and cheap 5.1 set for my living room (22'x24'). Found these and thought I'd give them a try. I already have a full home theater with JBLs and a 15" Velodyne sub, just wanted something better than TV speakers in my living room.
I unboxed these (double boxed and well protected)and hooked them up to my theater set up. Music was ok, kinda tinny due to using just two of the small speakers and the sub is boomy when turned up past halfway. they don't integrate perfectly but it's fine for listening to Pandora.
For surround sound this thing works GREAT. I tested them with Independence Day and Pearl Harbor. Vocals are crystal clear from the center channel and a little deeper (due to having 2 woofers) than the smaller side speakers. The sub sounded perfect being used as the LFE. I was very impressed by how everything came together to make movies sound much better than I thought they would. It really was made specifically for Home Theater not so much just using two tiny speakers for music.
I have a big living room and these fill it with sound perfectly as long as I don't crank them up as loud as I can.
highly recommend these over most other small systems. why bother paying $400 when these $93 speakers work as well as they do?
Incredible value has its drawbacks.
by MPPerry on December 30, 2013
Pros: Amazing price and surprisingly good sound. Included mounting brackets are a nice touch
Cons: Cheap looking. Subwoofer amplifier has a noticeable hum.
Summary: I've been using these speakers for about a month now and have to admit that they are absolutely an incredible value. That said however, there are always drawbacks when ...
Summary: I've been using these speakers for about a month now and have to admit that they are absolutely an incredible value. That said however, there are always drawbacks when you pay rock-bottom prices.
My biggest issue regarding this speaker system is with the subwoofer. As soon as I plugged it in and turned on the power it began emitting a noticeable hum. I checked to make sure this was not coming in on the line by disconnecting it from my Onkyo TX-NR525 receiver to no avail. Additionally, I tried plugging it in through a power line conditioner to rule out noise from the power supply.
Although generally the hum is not noticeable, especially when using the auto on feature, since the amp powers off when no signal is being sent to it, it is definitely noticeable when listening at very low volume. When the amp powers on it is very noticeable.
One other drawback is appearance. The cabinets are not very attractive and have a fairly obtrusive Monoprice logo on their grills. The satellites are quite small and can blend in to their surroundings however.
In terms of overall sound quality, I am quite impressed aside from the issue of the subwoofer hum. In fact, I even consider this system worth purchasing and ditching the sub for another, since the satellites and center speaker sound quality is very good; where else are you going to get four satellites and a center channel speaker for under $100?
If you're on a tight budget, you can't go wrong here.
- Manufacturer: Monoprice
- Part number: 8247
- Description: Surround yourself in high-fidelity with the Monoprice 5.1-channel home theater speaker system! Get everything you need for a great sounding home theater speaker setup in a single box! You get four satellite speakers and a center channel speaker for the mid- and high-range audio signals, plus an 8" powered subwoofer to handle the low frequencies. All the speakers come with an attractive finish and convenient spring-loaded signal connectors. The center speakers use two 3" shielded mid-range cones, while the satellites employ one 3" cone and a 1/2" dome tweeter. However, don't let the small size fool you! These 8-ohm speakers will handle up to 125 watts of power from your home theater receiver at frequencies from 150 Hz to 20 kHz. The subwoofer is powered by a 60 watt (RMS) amplifier, driving a downward firing 8" cone. It can take either line or speaker-level inputs, so can be used with any amplifier, even older amps without dedicated subwoofer outputs. The subwoofer handles frequencies between 50 Hz to 250 Hz and includes adjustable crossover frequency and volume balance controls. Don't let the low price fool you! This speaker system sounds great and will fill your room with high-quality, full-spectrum sound!
- Audio system type Home theater speaker system
- System configuration 5.1-channel
- Speakers included 4 x Satellite speakers,
1 x Center speaker,
1 x Subwoofer
- Color Black
- Additional Features Spring-loaded signal connectors,
Adjustable crossover frequency
- Amplification type Active subwoofer, passive satellites
- Woofer size (inches) 3 in,
- Sensitivity 85 dB
- Crossover frequency 50 - 250Hz
- Connectivity Wired
- Controls Power on/off
- Connector type 1 x Audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 )
- Driver details Satellite speaker : 1 x Woofer driver - 3 in - Paper,
Satellite speaker : 1 x Tweeter driver - 0.5 in
- Driver details Center channel speaker : 2 x Woofer driver - 3" - Paper,
Center channel speaker : 1 x Tweeter driver - 0.5"
- Driver details Subwoofer : 1 x Subwoofer driver - 8"
Compatibility | Accessories
- Included accessories Power cable,
Wall mounting brackets,
- Cables included Audio cable,
Power cable - 4 ft
- Power device Power supply - Internal