Archos 5 Internet tablet with Android (160GB)
Manufacturer: Archos Part number: 501323
Where to buy
|store||customer rating||inventory||tax & shipping||price|
| || In stock |
Get free shipping on orders over $35.00
Enter zip code to get total price:
as of 03/09/2014
CNET editors' review
price range: $450.00
- Reviewed by: Donald Bell
- Reviewed on: 10/26/2009
- Released on: 10/08/2009
The good: The Archos 5 Internet tablet/portable media player offers a large, high-resolution touch-screen display, Wi-Fi, music playback, photos, Flash video and game compatibility, Bluetooth, e-mail, a Web browser, a built-in speaker, an integrated kickstand, GPS, and support for a limited selection of Android applications.
The bad: GPS signal reception is poor enough to make the feature useless; many popular Android apps are unsupported; Flash video support is hit or miss; no multitouch support for keyboard or gestures; text copy and paste is a chore; and the glossy design shows fingerprints.
The bottom line: The Archos 5 is a great video player, but it disappoints as a premium Android Internet tablet and GPS unit.
Very best high end mobile PMP device ever, hands down
by bigrob777 on November 11, 2009
Pros: Makes an honest OS of Android. Has multi media functions all others can only dream about! Best of both The Archos & Android worlds!
Cons: Some Apps are glitchy. As of yet, no flash 10 (coming soon/has flash lite) so web video opens externally for now.
Summary: Pound for pound (or rather gram for gram) the best hand held PMP video, music, web, ect. player on this side of Saturn! As with any brand new high end ...
Summary: Pound for pound (or rather gram for gram) the best hand held PMP video, music, web, ect. player on this side of Saturn! As with any brand new high end product, problems may arise from time to time, (mostly from third party Apps) but this is a must have for any real Tech enthusiast! It blows away the touch and all others pretty easily.
Don't believe the hype! Some people (i.e. the editor at CNet who wrote the review for the Archos)are just I-Anything Fanboys! We see Mac loyalists all the time turning a blind eye or trash talking anything that comes close, let alone anything that flat out spanks, one of their precious Mac encrusted gadgets! Think about it- Whens the last time you saw a Mac commercial where they simply talked about their own product? Been awhile?Don't get me wrong, this concept doesn't apply across the board to all Mac users... but you know who you are! Lol! That being said The ITouch/IPhone are a great products but they just can not do what The Archos 5 Android can. For starters lets talk video: If you want to play a video on a Touch/IPhone(lets refer to them both as Mac's for posterity sake from now on) you first have to most likley convert it and then using only one program (I-Tunes) copy it over to your device. Whereas with the Archos, it plays just about every format known to man, even 720p HD natively with the available codec (although an extra $39.99 us) and transfers via drag n drop or sync with WMP! Not to mention the screen is simply gorgeous with 800 x 480 on the device! Oh yeah, It's also a DVR when coupled with the optional Docking Station with the ability to play in HD via HDMI on your compatible HDTV! Not to mention a whole host of WebTV and online video accessible via the Archos media array on the main desktop screen. Then Theres the fact that the Archos out specs and performs in almost every way when it comes to audio and video features across the board! Oh yeah and it has just a bit more space at 160 and even up to 500GB models! And even if you some how manage to fill it up, you can stream video and audio from your PC/Mac via WiFi.
Now lets address some of the other features like GPS powered by NDrive. While the GPS upon initial start up does take up to 45 seconds to connect to the Sat. signals, contrary to the CNet review it is very worth mentioning. I use the GPS regularly and with minimal problems or issues. That being said the biggest issue is having to pay the extra $39.99 for the U.S. Map Pack. Not to say its flawless, but lets get this straight, it works and it works well! With awesome features that you would only expect to find in ultra high end models. Like 360 degree photo realistic views! Once you have activated the GPS you can freely go back and fourth to the desktop and use all of the other features including the media ones while running the GPS in the background, without having to reload Sat. signals.
Internet Media Tablet is indeed a great term for the device as it does both internet and media very well. With a full fledged browser (with Flash 10 support coming soon) and tons of current and upcoming Android and Google Apps and a host of features catering to your every web related guilty pleasure and indulgence Like for instance, have you ever wanted BitTorrent/Torrent client control away from home? Has it! Want the ability to unpack compressed files, view PDF's or use Google Doc's on the run? Yessur, it does it!
Look the bottom line is this: The Archos 5 Android does too many things to mention here... and it does all of them very well. The Mac's and Zune our great and even refined products, as they have been around for a while, but in my opinion as well as many others it is easily beet by the original Archos 5, without Android. The features of the Archos 605 are far more impressive then the Mac's. And that is something that I and the Editors of CNet can agree with! These new models are just icing on the cake! What ever device you choose, good hunting and heres to technology! Whatever the brand! - Big Rob.
- Manufacturer: Archos
- Part number: 501323
- Description: The Archos 5 Internet Tablet is combining all the know-how and renowned expertise of multimedia with the hot new environment developed with Google: the Android platform. In this new era of open source and collaboration, applications and software are blooming throughout the world. Everyday sees a new gold nugget that will overwhelm the market. That's the magic behind the common and shared environment of Android, anyone can create a best-seller. There are so many fun games out there and so many cool applications that it would be a pity to not give you access to them. Here comes the Archos 5 Internet Tablet. With its sleek and advanced list of features, it truly achieves the convergence of the Internet, entertainment, TV, and GPS in one device, letting you discover and download lots of applications and games while performing the best multimedia experience of a handheld device. Featuring a customizable interface, the Archos 5 can be personalized to fit with your lifestyle, with an access to a range of rich applications and widgets. And with the AppsLib, you have a supermarket of paid and free applications to download from. Your favorite sources of information, communications and entertainment are always at your fingertips so that you can find anything you want. Built on a culture of innovation and a passion to deliver groundbreaking technology, the Archos 5 delivers the great features and user experience that have made ARCHOS a global leader in consumer electronics. The user experience has dramatically improved, and the Archos 5 is arguably the best HD portable player that exists. No matter what you want to watch or listen to, view or do, the Archos 5 Internet Tablet will let you do this in HD quality, with accessories featuring HDMI outputs. With easy WiFi connectivity, and Bluetooth technology to tether a 3.5G mobile phone, the Archos 5 will manage to deliver 24/7 Internet connectivity. One of the most common shortcomings of Internet devices is that they are generally naked. They could feature lots of useful applications, but every time, you find them without any. The Archos 5 Internet tablet comes loaded with lots of them, so that you can immediately start using it.
- Type 4.8 in TFT active matrix
- Display Resolution 800 x 480
- Color Depth 24-bit (16.7 million colors)
- Operating System Android
- HDD Capacity 160 GB
- Supported Flash Memory Cards SD Memory Card,
SDHC Memory Card
- Wireless Connectivity Bluetooth 2.0,
- GPS Navigation GPS receiver
- Software Included Tele Atlas
- TV Tuner Type Digital TV
- Radio Tuner Type FM radio
- Audio Microphone , Speaker
- Supported Digital Audio Formats AAC,
- Preloaded Software Alarm Clock,
High Paying Jobs,
System Requirements for PC Connection
- OS Required Microsoft Windows Vista / XP,
Expansion and Connectivity
- Interfaces 1 x USB 2.0,
1 x Dock,
1 x SPDIF ( Supporting via optional cradle ),
2 x Audio line-in ( Supporting via optional cradle ),
2 x Audio line-out ( Supporting via optional cradle ),
1 x S-video input ( Supporting via optional cradle ),
1 x S-video output ( Supporting via optional cradle ),
1 x Composite video input ( Supporting via optional cradle ),
1 x TV-out ( Supporting via optional cradle ),
3 x Component video input ( Supporting via optional cradle ),
3 x Component video output ( Supporting via optional cradle ),
1 x HDMI ( Supporting via optional cradle ),
1 x USB 2.0 ( Supporting via optional cradle )
- HDMI Port Yes
- Technology / Form Factor Lithium polymer
- Capacity Internal - Rechargeable - Lithium polymer
- Features Full USB
- Included Accessories Headphones
- Cables Included 1 x USB cable
- Localization United States
Dimensions & Weight
- Width 5.6 in
- Depth 0.8 in
- Height 3.1 in
- Weight 10.1 oz
Specs: 4.8 in TFT active matrix,
5.6 in x 0.4 in x 3.1 in,
Specs: 4.8 in TFT active matrix,
256 MB - DDR SDRAM,
5.6 in x 0.4 in x 3.1 in,
Specs: 4.8 in TFT active matrix,
5.6 in x 0.8 in x 3.1 in,